NEW DETAILS: Detective admits shooting at suspect in radio traffic


WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — We are learning more details about an officer-involved shooting from the radio traffic released Thursday afternoon.

Two validated gang members are facing charges in a shooting involving a Wilmington police detective. Deshon Rucker, 19 and Deshaun Clarida, 21, are both charged in this crime. They appeared in court this afternoon.

- Advertisement -

Police say it happened near 23rd and Chestnut Streets around 3:30 yesterday afternoon. Police say following a traffic stop, Rucker pointed a gun at a detective and the detective fired at the suspect.

A neighbor called 911 to report gunshots.

911 Caller: “I just heard about 7 or 8 gun shots, um near, off of Chestnut probably near Chestnut and 23rd or so.”
Dispatcher:”23 and Chestnut?”
911 Caller: “yeah, a bunch of gun shots.”
Dispatcher: “Did you see anything? No.”

In the radio traffic, you can hear the detective tell dispatchers he fired his gun at Rucker.

“I am right here on 23rd Street,” the detective said. “Uh, I fired like 7 shots at Deshon Rucker. He jumped out on me with a gun, took off running up this alley.”

In another clip, you can hear another officer yelling.

“Shots fired 23rd Street,” the officer said. “We had a male run at eastbound, on Chestnut Street Eastbound, subject had a gun.”

Wilmington Police Spokeswoman Cathryn Lindsay said they will not be releasing the name of the detective involved for safety reasons.

Lindsay said the detective is on an administrative leave with pay right now as a standard procedure. Lindsay said anytime an officer discharges their weapon, they are put on an administrative leave while the department conducts an internal investigation to make sure all procedures were followed. Lindsay stressed this does not mean that the detective did anything wrong. It is a standard procedure.

Rucker is charged with assault on a law enforcement officer with a firearm among other things. He is in jail under a $1 million bond. Clarida is charged with possession of a firearm by a felon and he is being held under a $100,000 bond.

Rucker and Clarida are expected to be in court again on September 29.