CAROLINA BEACH, NC (WWAY) — Carolina Beach town council approved an ordinance changing the rules for golf carts and low speed vehicles.
After a period of public input, council members agreed vehicles are only allowed on streets posted 35 miles per hour or less, but you are allowed to cross roads with higher limits at intersections.
Other rules include:
- Vehicles must have liability insurance
- Operators must be at least 16 and have a valid driver’s license
- Vehicles must not have more than allowed number of passengers
- All passengers must be wearing NCDOT approved seat belts
- Vehicles must have fixed mirrors, head lights, tail lights and turn signals.
- All vehicles must be registered with the town
- New rules take affect with new registration
- No one is allowed to stand in cart while in operation
- Must follow all applicable state and local laws, regulations and ordinances, including but not limited to those banning the possession and use of alcoholic beverages and other illegal drugs
- Open containers of alcohol are prohibited on public roads
The new rules start on January 1, 2018. The carts need to be in compliance when the owner registers the cart for a town permit.
The full Golf Cart Ordinance is available here: Agenda Item – Golf Cart Ordinance Amendment