BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — A former Brunswick County deputy is behind bars after being arrested on multiple drug and embezzlement charges.
According to a release from the Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office, agents with the Vice-Narcotics Unit arrested John Christian Blasingame, 42, of Leland, during a traffic stop on Chappell Loop Road Thursday evening.
Arrest warrants show Blasingame was in possession of lisdexamfetamine, cocaine, marijuana, marijuana paraphernalia, and testosterone.
Warrants show he was also in possession of state property, including a sheriff’s office identification card, a sheriff’s office badge, a sheriff’s office tie with pin, a sheriff’s office lapel pin, and sheriff’s office plastic junior deputy badges.
Blasingame was charged with:
- Sell/deliver a Schedule II Controlled Substance
- Possession with the intent to manufacture/sell/deliver a Schedule II Controlled Substance
- Simple possession of a Schedule VI Controlled Substance
- Simple possession of a Schedule III controlled substance
- Felony possession of a Schedule II Controlled Substance
- Possession of marijuana paraphernalia
- Possession of drug paraphernalia
- Embezzlement of state property
He was taken to the Brunswick County Detention Center and placed under a $1.5 million bond.
“Effective immediately, your service with the Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office is no longer needed. Please turn in any and all departmental identification and equipment immediately,” Sheriff Ingram wrote in the dismissal letter.
As to why Blasingame still had an ID and badge, Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Emily Flax said Blasingame turned in a badge and an ID but evidently had duplicates unbeknownst to the sheriff’s office, which is why he is charged with embezzlement.