BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — Friday morning’s storms and rain has caused dangerous conditions for drivers across Brunswick County.
The government offices closed at noon.
According to the Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office Facebook page, there’s about two feet of water on Highway 133, making the road impassable.
There’s high water on areas of Highway 17, especially near Old Shallotte Road.
“Travel during and after an extended period of heavy rainfall can be treacherous,” said Robert Vause, the N.C. Department of Transportation’s maintenance engineer in the Wilmington area. “A flooded road might appear safe on the surface, but you can’t tell what’s going on below, until it’s too late.”
In Shallotte, there’s a sinkhole in the south lane of Village Point Road across from Lloyd’s Oyster House.
Many other side streets in the county are also flooding.
The roads are so bad. Brunswick Transit System say they are operating on a shortened schedule.
Brunswick Community College’s Continuing Education Evening Classes are canceled for Friday evening.
Sunset Beach Town Hall will close at 1:30 p.m. Friday due to inclement weather.
As of 4:30 pm Friday, NCDOT released the list below of Brunswick County roads that experienced flooding due to the heavy rainfall:
• 200 Danford Road Southeast, Bolivia
• Green Hill Road Northeast/Cherry Tree Road Northeast
• Royal Oak Road Northwest, Shallotte
• 100 Midway Road Southeast, Bolivia
• River Road Southeast/Daws Creek Road Southeast. Officials erected a high water sign.
• Danford Road/Business 17 East
• 4700 Ocean Highway West, Shallotte
• Skeeter Hawk Drive Northeast/Town Creek Road Northeast have been closed due to flooding
• 1600 Village Point Road, Shallotte, has been closed due to flooding.
• River Road Southeast/ Fifty Lakes Drive have been closed due to flooding.
• Midway Road Southeast/Gilbert Road have been closed due to flooding.
• Midway Road Southeast/Albright Rd Southeast have been closed due to flooding.
• Green Hill Road Southeast/Albright Road Southeast.
• Shell landing Road Southwest /Asheboro Street Southwest have been closed
• Clemmons Road /Old Lennon Road Southeast.
• 1200 Lords Branch Road Southeast, Winnabow has been washed out.
• 1000 Berrhill Road, Boiling Springs Lake has been washed out.
• Eden Road/Fifty Lakes Road has been washed out.
Click here for updates on road closures.