New Hanover County Schools assistant principal charged with sex crimes found dead


NEW HANOVER COUNTY (WWAY) — A New Hanover County School assistant principal just  charged with sex offenses against a former student has been found dead.

Noble Middle School Assistant Principal David Bostian, 59, was arrested and charged with two counts of sexual offense by a government employee.

- Advertisement -

Bostian was arrested late Thursday, and later released on a $150,000 unsecured bond.

According to the Wilmington Police Department, Bostian was found dead in his home on Tipton Court a little after 9:00 a.m.

According to the New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office, the alleged crime happened in 1992, when Bostian was a teacher at New Hanover High School.

The alleged victim has come forward, saying the two had had an inappropriate relationship spanning a couple years around 1992, while the victim was 16 years old.

According to the Sheriff’s office, the victim said they did not have intercourse, but sexual acts were performed.

According to New Hanover County Schools, Bostian was originally hired in 1985. He resigned Friday morning.

We reached out to the New Hanover County School Board of Education and Superintendent for comment on Bostian’s charges and death.

Board Chair, Stephanie Adams responded, “At this time, is trying to gather all information and work with those impacted.”

“I want to offer my deepest condolences to everyone affected by this case,” New Hanover County Schools Superintendent Dr. Charles Foust said in a statement. “We will wrap support around the Noble Middle School students and staff members during this difficult time. We also will remain vigilant to protect children and provide safe learning environments in all of our schools.”

NHCS provided crisis counseling Friday for students and staff members at Noble Middle School and said they will continue to support the school community as needed.

We reached out to the New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office and Wilmington Police Department for more details, but the charges and death are still under investigation.