Brunswick County families can apply for heating assistance
BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — Starting next month, Brunswick County will begin accepting applications for its annual energy assistance program.
The LIEAP, or Low Income Energy Assistance Program, provides a one-time annual vendor payment to help eligible families offset winter heating expenses. The household’s total countable income for the base period must be equal to or less than 130 percent of the current poverty level, and the household’s total resources must be $2,250 or less.
Beginning December 1, people who are 60 years and older or disabled and receiving services from the Division of Aging and Adult Services can apply at Social Services, in Building B at the County Complex.
Applications will be accepted Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. In addition, during the month of December, Social Services staff will be taking applications at the Brunswick County Senior Centers.
Beginning Tuesday, January 2, anyone may apply for the funds, regardless of age or disability.
Applicants must provide all income for the household and its members; checking and savings account statements for all members of the household; all property, stocks, bonds and other assets for all members of the household; the name, date of birth and social security number for each member of the household; and a copy of the current heating source bill, with the applicant’s name, address and account number.
Applications will be taken until March 31, or until all funds are exhausted. For additional information, call (910) 253-2422.
Senior Center Locations, Dates and Times:
- Shallotte Senior Center Dec. 1 and Dec. 13 (9 a.m. – 2 p.m.)
- Supply Senior Center Dec. 4 and Dec. 14 (9 a.m. – 2 p.m.)
- Oak Island Center Dec. 5 (10 a.m. – 1 p.m.)
- Southport Center Dec. 6 and Dec. 19 (9 a.m. – 2 p.m.)
- Town Creek Center Dec. 7 (10 a.m. – 1 p.m.)
- Leland Center Dec. 8 and Dec. 15 (9 a.m. – 2 p.m.) and Dec. 20 (9 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.)
- Calabash Senior Center Dec. 11 (10 a.m. – 1 p.m.)
- Ash Senior Center Tuesday, Dec. 12 (9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.)
- Boiling Spring Lakes Senior Center Dec. 18 (10 a.m. – 1 p.m.)