Media outlets plan NC Senate debate without Hagan
RALEIGH, NC (AP) — A television news outlet and North Carolina’s two largest newspapers will hold a debate next month in the U.S. Senate race even if Democratic incumbent Kay Hagan doesn’t participate.
Time Warner Cable News North Carolina says it will air a live debate Oct. 21. The Charlotte Observer and The News & Observer of Raleigh also are producing the debate. The cable channel says Republican Thom Tillis and Libertarian Sean Haugh have agreed to participate if they meet criteria.
Hagan’s campaign has confirmed she doesn’t plan to participate. She and Tillis already held a TV debate last week and are preparing for two more.
Tillis wrote Hagan on Tuesday urging her to reconsider this and other invitations.
Hagan spokeswoman Sadie Weiner pointed out Tillis only participated in two Republican primary debates.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)