Wilmington man pleads guilty in fatal car crash
WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A Wilmington man has pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter in a car crash nearly a year ago.
A judge sentenced Mark William Estep, 40, to 23-37 months and ordered him to undergo alcohol assessment in prison.
Estep was originally charged with aggravated felony death by motor vehicle and DWI in the crash that killed John Andrew Jackson Jr., 53, of Wilmington, on Dec. 12, 2013. The District Attorney’s Office says Estep pulled into traffic at the intersection of Independence Blvd. and Carolina Beach Road, where his car was hit by another vehicle. That driver was not charged. Jackson died at the scene.
“Mr. Jackson’s family suffered an inconsolable loss,” Assistant DA Doug Carriker, who prosecuted the case, said in a news release. “People need to know that if they drive while even a little impaired, they are risking years in prison, and, more importantly, they are risking lives.”
Estep had been charged with DWI before. The Department of Corrections website shows Estep’s record includes multiple convictions each for drug possession, reckless driving, hit and run and driving while license revoked.