200th career win for UNCW’s Paul Cairney; Hammerheads tie FC Montreal

MONTREAL (HAMMERHEADS) — FC Montreal hosted the Wilmington Hammerheads for a mid-week match on Wednesday, August 31st at Complexe Sportif Claude-Robillard.

With a slow start to the game, Wilmington’s first opportunity to score took place in the 2nd minute, when #2 Tom Parratt took a low shot that was deflected wide by a Montreal defender. Shortly after Parratt’s attempt #20 Zev Taublieb had a late tackle; which resulted in a free kick for Montreal, in the 4th minute. Montreal took the free kick about 22 yards from Wilmington’s goal where goalkeeper #1 John Smits made the first save of the match.

Although both teams created opportunities early on in the match, Wilmington started with a calm demeanor, not applying pressure to Montreal’s defense.

In the 12th minute a technical mistake made by Wilmington’s defense lead to #49 Alessandro Riggi to score the first goal of the game.

Wilmington attempted a counterattack in the 17th minute when they tested goalkeeper #70 David Paulmin with a series of shots and rebounded shots. Paulmin proved his starting position with several impressive deflections and saves.

Wilmington didn’t waste time to regain control of the ball when #7 Austin Martz created a great opportunity to score in the 19th minute sending a wide ball across the field where #22 Kyle Parker missed the high ball by a hair.

Not even a minute later #6 Liam Miller fired a great shot in the 20th minute where Paulmin made an even more impressive diving save pushing the ball to the sideline.

After Montreal’s goal, Wilmington picked up their offensive aggression, creating several dangerous and close opportunities to score. As Wilmington continued to possess control, Montreal found themselves chasing the ball in an attempt to regain lost ground.

#18 Stefan Defregger took a corner kick in the 32nd minute where #4 Michael Mecham headed the ball further towards the goal. #9 Matthew Barnes Homer tried to volley Mecham’s rebound into the back of the net, only to collide with Montreal’s defense.

Fighting for a goal, Barnes Homer went into a 50/50 with Paulmin in the 40th minute only to receive the first yellow card of the match for a dangerous play.

As the first half came to a close, Montreal led 1-0, despite Wilmington’s control.

Right out of the gate in the second half, Miller fired a shot off of a rebounded corner kick where he strategically maneuvered the ball through the crowd forcing goalkeeper #40 Maxime Crépeau to make the save.

In the 59th minute, Montreal’s defense stopped Wilmington from equalizing the game. The Port City team had an open net inside the 18, when a quick reaction from defender #66 Janouk Charbonneau blocked the close shot.

The match continued back and forth between the teams and in the 64th minute Montreal tested Smits when Charbonneau hit a line drive. Smits made a challenging diving deflection, prohibiting Montreal, once again.

As the 66th minute approached Montreal attacked Wilmington’s net where Riggi shot and hit the post.

Wilmington’s hard work paid off in the 72nd minute when #19 Jeff Michaud passed across the goal where Martz found the back of the net, scoring the equalizing goal, 1-1.

The battle continued for the three points for the next ten minutes in the second half. Wilmington’s offense channeled the momentum from Martz’s goal, where Miller floated a ball into the 18. Parker, already inside the 18, headed the ball past Crépeau in the 81st minute, scoring Wilmington’s second goal of the match.

Montreal tried to quickly equalize the goal when #44 Simon Lemire fired a shot in the 83rd minute, only for Smits to make a reactive save, denying Montreal a goal.

#24 Anthony Jackson-Hamel came through for Montreal when he scored the equalizing goal in the 88th minute, bringing the game to a 2-2 score.

Quickly following Jackson-Hamel’s goal, Riggi received the second yellow card of the match in stoppage time. The final yellow card was for Montreal in the last minute of stoppage time.

Wilmington will go home with a 2-2 draw against Montreal. Head coach Mark Briggs stated, “It was a fantastic effort made by our team. They showed determination and desire to play. Overall, the performance was great, but we did enough to win the game and should be the one walking away with three points. We have to see our games better.”

Fans don’t miss Wilmington’s next home match on Wednesday, September 7th when they welcome Orlando City B to Legion Stadium at 7pm. You can purchase your tickets by calling 910.777.2111 or by visiting wilmingtonhammerheads.com today.


BUIES CREEK, NC (UNCW) — Junior forwards Meg Salvadore and Serenity Waters each scored a goal as UNCW presented Coach Paul Cairney with his 200th career win with a 2-0 non-conference victory over Campbell at the Eakes Athletic Complex on Wednesday evening.

The Seahawks, who posted their third shutout of the season, upped their record to 4-0-1 while handing the Camels (2-2-0) their second straight loss.

Salvadore gave the Seahawks a 1-0 lead in the 38th minute when she took a crossing pass from Waters and headed home her second goal of the season.

Waters upped the advantage to 2-0 with 21:43 left in the second half when she tallied her fourth goal of the year off an assist from freshman defender Katie McGrath.

Senior goalkeeper Carolyn Huddy made five saves for the Seahawks, who limited Campbell to just eight shots, including three in the second half.

Freshman Natalya Marcove tallied three saves in the loss for the Camels.

#SeahawkStats: Wednesday’s contest marked the 13th all-time meeting between the two in-state rivals … UNCW has won six consecutive games against the Camels and leads the series by a 10-3-0 margin … The Seahawks have outscored their opponents by a 10-0 margin in the first half this year after Salvadore’s goal in the first half … UNCW has also scored two or more goals in all five of its games this year … Waters has scored a goal in four of the Seahawks’ five games this season … McGrath recorded the first point of her college career … In 21 seasons as the Seahawks’ coach, Cairney has posted a 200-178-22 record … Huddy moved into sole possession of second place on UNCW’s all-time list with 15 career shutouts.

Up Next for UNCW: The Seahawks return home to face NC State on Sunday, Sept. 4, at 1 p.m. at the UNCW Soccer Stadium.

College Women’s Soccer: UNCW 2, Campbell 0

UNCW                    1          1          –           2

Campbell                0          0          –           0


Goals: UNCW – Meg Salvadore (37:25), Serenity Waters (68:17); Campbell – n/a. Assists: UNCW – Serenity Waters, Katie McGrath; Campbell – n/a. Saves: UNCW – Carolyn Huddy 5 (90:00, 0 goals allowed); Campbell – Natalya Marcove 3 (90:00, 2 goals allowed). Shots: UNCW – 14; Campbell – 8. Corner Kicks: UNCW – 8; Campbell – 3. Attendance: 528.

Categories: New Hanover, Sports

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *