WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — As worries about GenX in the region’s water supply continue, WWAY and its media partners are holding another forum; this time to address concerns in Brunswick County.
H2Go, which provides water and sewer service to northern Brunswick County, asked WWAY, the StarNews and WHQR to host another forum after the media outlets sponsored a forum in Wilmington last month that drew a big crowd and even bigger interest in the questions and answers to panelists.
“Whenever you have a story of this magnitude, it’s important to get people as much information as possible,” WWAY News Director Kevin Wuzzardo said. “We certainly feel we’ve been doing that through our reporting, but being able to help with another forum like this goes a long way to our commitment to helping the community understand what’s going on as fully as possible.”
The forum is Wednesday, 7-9 p.m., at Odell Williamson Auditorium at Brunswick Community College in Bolivia. Doors open at 6 p.m. The event will also be live streamed here on WWAYTV3.com.
The forum will feature a wide range of topics about emerging contaminants, GenX and the Cape Fear River.
If you would like to submit a question, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org, post it to the WWAY NEWS Facebook page or Tweet them with #GenXBrunsCo
The panel will consist of:
- Larry Cahoon, UNCW Biological Oceanography Professor
- Susanne Brander, UNCW Aquatic Toxicology/Environmental Endocrinology Assistant Professor
- Detlef Knappe, NC State University Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering Professor and co-author of the GenX study
- Kemp Burdette, Cape Fear River Keeper
- Daniel Wilson, North Carolina Rural Water Association Executive Director
- John Nichols, Brunswick County Public Utilities Director
- Randy Thompson, Brunswick County Commission Vice Chair
- David Stanley, Brunswick County Health and Human Services Executive Director
- Sheila Holman, Assistant Secretary of the NC Department of Environmental Quality
Chemours, the company that makes GenX, was invited to attend, but declined.