GREENVILLE, N.C. (UNCWSports.com) – The Seahawks (37-21), the Colonial Athletic Association champions, descend upon Clark-LeClair Stadium for a second time this season, but this time it’s in the NCAA Regionals when they face host and top-seeded East Carolina (43-16) on Friday at 7 p.m.
As the second game of the regional schedule, the game will be streamed on ESPN3 while the Seahawk Digital Network and Mike Vaccaro, the voice of the Seahawks, kickoff their radio and audio stream at 6:45 p.m.
The Seahawks will face either second-seed South Carolina or third-seed Ohio State, both earned at-large bids to the NCAA Regionals.
The Pirates won a pair of close games against the Seahawks this season, edging UNCW 6-4 at Clark-LeClair and finishing a season sweep of the annual home-and-home series with a 5-4 victory at Brooks Field.
The Seahawks claimed their fifth CAA Championship with a 7-4 win on May 26 over Northeastern, who also earned an at-large bid to the regionals. With the win, the Seahawks advanced to the NCAA regionals for a ninth time and the fifth in the last seven seasons.
THINGS TO KNOW
– The Seahawks are making their ninth appearance in the NCAA Regionals … All have been since 2003 when they made their tournament debut at the Baton Rouge Regional … UNCW has reached the regionals five times in the last seven seasons
– UNCW won its fifth Colonial Athletic Association championship title last week in Harrisonburg, Va. … As the fourth seed, the Seahawks knocked off fifth-seed Delaware, second-seed Elon and top-seeded Northeastern during their run to the automatic qualifier … UNCW’s last CAA title was won in 2012, also at Veterans Memorial Park in Harrisonburg
– Sophomore third baseman Cole Weiss was named Most Outstanding Performer at the conference tournament, becoming the fourth Seahawk to earn the honor, joining Matt Poulk (2004), Chris Hatcher (2006) and Corey Dick (2015)
– UNCW enters the regional with a record of 9-8 against teams in the NCAA tournament … Every mid-week non-conference game this season was against a program that reached the NCAA Tournament (North Carolina, East Carolina, NC State, Campbell and Ohio State
– The Seahawks welcomed 17 newcomers to the program in 2018 and had to replace seven position starters … Two of the newcomers, Gage Herring and Landen Roupp, both freshmen, stepped into the starting rotation early in the season after injuries knocked two returning starters out
– Mark Scalf earned his 900th win this season with a 7-6 win at Northeastern on May 11th in the first game of a doubleheader against the eventual regular season champions
– UNCW landed seven players on the All-CAA squads, including first-teamers Ryan Jeffers (C), Mason Berne (1B) and Alex Royalty (RHP) … Weiss was a second-team selection at third base … Roupp, Herring and Greg Jones were All-Rookie honorees
– The Seahawks posted a 12-7 road record this season and went 4-1 in neutral site games for a record of 16-8 away from Brooks Field
– UNCW’s bullpen has combined for 27 wins and 19 saves this season while posting just six losses … The relievers have compiled a 2.47 ERA, 201 opponent batting average and allowed just 35-of-125 inherited runners to score (72% strand rate)