WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — With Hurricane Florence approaching the East Coast, many shelters across the southeast are starting to open.
Starting Tuesday, Pender County, in cooperation with the American Red Cross and Pender County Health Department, Pender County Schools, and the Pender County Sheriff’s Department, four shelters will be activated.
- Burgaw Middle School, pet-friendly shelter
- Topsail Elementary School
- Cape Fear Middle School
- Malpass Corner Elementary
Burgaw Middle will open Tuesday at 4 p.m. The remaining shelters will open Wednesday at 8 a.m.
If you need assistance in Pender County, call the Emergency Management office at (910) 259-1210.
NEW HANOVER COUNTY
The first New Hanover County evacuation shelter will open Tuesday at 7 p.m.
- Trask Middle School, a pet-friendly shelter and cats and dogs are welcome (no exotic animals), and limited food service will be available for people seeking shelter.
The following public shelters may also be opened for the storm, but they have not been scheduled to open at this time:
- Johnson Pre-K Center
- Codington Elementary School
- Eaton Elementary School
New Hanover County officials say those seeking emergency shelter should bring their own blankets/pillows, prescription medications and other necessary items.
No alcohol, illegal drugs, or weapons are permitted. Pet owners should bring their dog or cat in crates, along with pet food.
Anyone with questions about evacuating or shelter openings can call the public information hotline telephone number beginning at noon Tuesday at (910) 798-6800.
Brunswick County recommends residents seek shelters outside of Brunswick County, but they will open the following shelters for those who can’t leave.
- West Brunswick High School
- North Brunswick High School
- South Brunswick High School
The shelters will open Tuesday at 2 p.m. They are all pet friendly.
If you bring pets, the owners must stay at the shelter as well, and should bring documentation of rabies vaccines, food, any medicines, and any other items necessary for your pets.
Bladen County will open the following shelters starting at noon on Wednesday.
- East Bladen High School
- West Bladen High School, pet-friendly
- Bladen Lakes Elementary School
- East Arcadia Elementary School
BARTS will be available for transportation to the shelters beginning at 8:30 p.m. Wednesday. Call them at (910) 862-6930. Call early, they will not be available after winds reach a sustained 25 miles/hour.
If you have special needs, such as oxygen dependent, you are encouraged to go to West Bladen High.
Shelters will open at 9 a.m. Wednesday. The shelters are located at:
- West Columbus High School
- South Columbus High School
- East Columbus High School
- Guideway Elementary School
- Edgewood Elementary School
Edgewood Elementary School is the county’s designated pet friendly shelter.