9/11 firefighter laid to rest nearly 15 years after WTC attacks
A funeral is being held this morning for a New York City firefighter nearly 15 years after he was killed responding to the attacks at the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001.
The remains of FDNY Safety Battalion Chief Lawrence Stack, who died at age 58, were never found, the FDNY said in a post on Facebook. For the past 15 years, Stack’s family had been “holding out hope” that his remains would be recovered.
The FDNY announced that Stack’s family recently discovered that the New York Blood Center still had vials of blood that Stack donated years ago.
“Now we can lay him to rest,” said Michael Stack, Lawrence’s son, who is currently an FDNY lieutenant.
A funeral mass for the slain fire chief was scheduled to take place at Saints Philip and James Roman Catholic Church in St. James, New York, the FDNY said.
His blood vials will be buried at Long Island’s Calverton National Cemetary following the funeral, The Associated Press reported.
Lawrence Stack served the FDNY for 33 years and was one of 343 members who died on 9/11, according to the FDNY. Stack also served in the U.S. Navy for six years, including a tour of duty in the Vietnam War.
Stack is survived by his wife Theresa, and his sons FDNY Lt. Michael Stack and FDNY firefighter Brian Stack.