Shallotte mayor says delayed park project under review as contractor faces fines
SHALLOTTE, NC (WWAY) — Officials with the town of Shallotte are weighing the future of a delayed park project after construction fell nearly a year behind its original completion deadline, according to Mayor Art Dornfeld.
Parts of Price’s Landing at Mulberry Park have already been completed, including a picnic awning that has passed inspection, along with a kayak launch and children’s playground. However, several major portions of the project remain unfinished, including a large parking lot on the north end of the property.
Town officials stated that Cinderella Partners was awarded the project, valued at more than $3 million, in August 2024, with the work originally scheduled for completion by June 2025.
Dornfeld said the town has since brought in an outside company to review the project and determine whether the contractor should be allowed to complete the remaining work.
“We want the job completed on the contract terms that we signed and they’re late, they know it,” Dornfeld said. “And this other company comes in and says either you fix it or we’ll get somebody to do it. Now that Vertech company could say, Cinderella’s not touching it anymore, we’re gonna hire somebody else, they’ll come in for the same price and finish your project.”
The town previously approved a six-month extension for the project in October and later decided in April to bring in the outside reviewer.
According to Dornfeld, as per its contract, Cinderella Partners has been fined $500 per day beyond the project’s original completion deadline, totaling more than $177,000.
Dornfeld said additional information about the project could be presented to the town’s Board of Aldermen during its meeting Tuesday night.
A final decision on whether Cinderella Partners will remain on the project is expected following the outside review.