Housing concerns emerge for some students as UNCW welcomes start of new year

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Thousands of students returned to the University of North Carolina Wilmington campus Wednesday, August 19th for the first day of fall classes, but some are starting the new school year with concerns about their housing arrangements.

UNCW welcomed about 5,700 students to campus this fall, with the majority of them moving into university housing last week, a process praised by students and parents.

“My grandma thought it was going to be really chaotic, but then it wasn’t even like, cause this is the first time they’re doing it like this,” freshman Kayla Hayes said.

Parent Danielle Reed said the process was easier than expected.

“It’s been amazing, super easy. You hear stories of really long waits and challenges getting in and lots of people and big crowds and I never saw none of that,” Reed said.

But not every student has had the same experience once they received their housing assignments.

For the fourth consecutive year, UNCW is relying on overflow housing to ensure every student living in university-owned housing, both on and off campus, has a bed.

According to a social media post, some students have been placed in single rooms with another student, while both students are paying the full double-room rate.

UNCW’s housing rates show students generally pay less per semester for a double room than they do for a single room.

Some students have also raised concerns about not being informed they were being placed in overflow housing until move-in day.

The housing concerns come as UNCW continues construction on Hammerhead Hall, a new residence hall expected to open for the fall 2027 semester. The facility will add more than 540 beds to the university’s housing capacity.

A university spokesperson said officials are “actively reviewing these housing assignments” and considering options to address student concerns.

The university said that the review is ongoing and officials expect to have a clearer picture of available housing and the next steps they will take next week.

Categories: Local, New Hanover, News, Top Stories