Bail revoked for prep school grad convicted of sex assault
A judge has revoked bail for former prep schooler Owen Labrie, who was convicted of sexually assaulting a classmate last August, after prosecutors accused him of missing his court-ordered curfew several times.
After the decision, which was made at a hearing this afternoon in Merrimack County Superior Court in Concord, N.H., Labrie was handcuffed and led out of court to Merrimack County Jail.
Labrie, 20, was found guilty in August of a felony charge of using a computer to lure an underage girl into a sexual encounter, as well as three misdemeanor sexual assault charges and one misdemeanor charge of child endangerment. During the trial last year, Labrie was accused of raping a 15-year-old female student at New Hampshire’s elite St. Paul’s School in 2014.
As ABC News previously reported, Labrie was sentenced to a year in jail for those charges, but the judge had suspended the sentence while Labrie appealed the decision. Free on bail, Labrie was supposed to have remained under curfew at the Tunbridge, Vermont, home of his mother between 5 p.m. and 8 a.m.
But prosecutor Catherine Ruffew said in court papers Monday that Labrie violated curfew at least eight times.
However, Labrie’s Manchester, N.H.-based lawyer Jaye Rancourt disputed the allegations in an Objection to the Motion to Revoke Bail filed Thursday, which Rancourt provided to ABC News.
Rancourt argued that her client was meeting with his legal counsel and “pursuing educational endeavors” when he broke his court-mandated curfew. “In his attempt to make productive use of his time and at the same time maintain some degree of privacy, he violated this court’s order and for that he is sorry,” Rancourt wrote.
Rancourt told ABC News Thursday night, “We stand behind the statements and assertions in our Objection. We look forward to the hearing and are hoping for a good outcome for Owen.”