Company accepts blame in carbon monoxide deaths

BOONE, NC (AP) — The company that owned a hotel where three people died of carbon monoxide poisoning has accepted blame in a plea deal that drops criminal charges against a manager.

Multiple news outlets reported that Appalachian Hospitality Management will be dissolved as part of the plea deal on Monday that includes the dismissal of charges against manager Damon Mallatere.

He had faced charges including involuntary manslaughter but said previously he didn’t believe he was guilty of a crime.

The case resulted from carbon monoxide deaths in 2013 at the Best Western hotel in Boone. A couple and an 11-year-old boy died several weeks apart in the same room.

Authorities discovered a carbon monoxide leak in a heating system for a swimming pool.

Messages for attorneys in the case weren’t immediately returned.

(Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Categories: Associated Press, NC, News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *