Fireworks related blaze leaves 8 families homeless

BURGAW, NC (WWAY) — Eight families are homeless after an apartment complex fire Saturday night after 11 p.m. in Burgaw.

Burgaw Fire Marshal Allen Wilson says fireworks that someone did not throw away properly sparked the flames. He says someone put the still-hot casings from fireworks into the back of an ATV that was parked alongside the building at 1201 East Wilmington St. in Burgaw.

We spoke with one man who lived in the building who did not want to be identified. He says while it’s unfortunate at least no one was hurt.

“This is something that always happens to someone else you never think it’ll happen to you. You know you never know. I  just thank God no one was hurt and everybody got out alright and it was just a tragic accidentally that’s all i can say,” said the resident.

One side of the building and the roof sustained most of the damage but Wilson says the building cannot be salvaged.

The Red Cross is helping most of the families by providing them with hotels, food, and clothing.

Categories: News, Pender

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *