Lightning to blame for Leland house fire


LELAND, NC (WWAY) — The Leland Fire Chief said they are now certain lightning destroyed a home Tuesday night.

Chief John Grimes said the storms sparked this fire at the home on Nightingale Court last night. No one was hurt in the fire, but we learned two dogs did not make it out of the home.

Folks in the community are now stepping up to help the woman who lived in this house. If you’d like to help out, contact the Cape Fear Volunteer Center. You can also click here to see a recently-created GoFundMe page.

Crews work to repair awning damaged in Tuesday's storm. (Photo: Sarah Johnson/WWAY)

Crews work to repair awning damaged in Tuesday’s storm. (Photo: Sarah Johnson/WWAY)

Just down the street from that fire, crews were working on other storm-related damage. Crews brought down the awning at the Scotchman on NC 133 near Leland, after strong winds damaged the structure above the gas pumps.

Categories: Brunswick, Local

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *