Not all Brunswick County students will head back to class Monday
BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — Most students in Brunswick County will be going back to school Monday, but due to construction, two elementary schools will not.
According to Brunswick County Schools Spokesman Daniel Seamans, 17 of 19 schools will open on Monday. Bolivia Elementary and Town Creek Elementary will open on Wednesday.
Seamans says there have been a lot of questions about the cleaning process within the schools and has released the following update:
- The largest part of the clean-up involved removing and replacing the wet materials, like drywall, sheetrock, ceiling tiles and flooring. This was contracted through ServPro, a professional water clean-up and restoration company.
- A hospital grade cleaning/sterilization was completed by SteriClean, a nationwide company that specializes in decontamination services.
- An industrial hygienist has been reviewing the work to make sure it is completed properly.
- Air tests have been taking place to ensure the air quality. The district will continue to test the air for several months to ensure nothing changes.
- This weekend, at the high school emergency shelter locations, a certified pest control company will perform prescribed treatments that involve high heat to eliminate any doubt or concerns of pests inside the areas where the shelters were located.
Seamans adds all of the above is about $2 million worth of professional work to get the schools ready for class.