UPDATE: One injured in accidental Chadbourn motel explosion and fire

Due to a quick response by fire crews, the building adjacent to the fire was only partially damaged.
Chadbourn Fire Pic
Fire at Budget Motel in Chadbourn Court (Photo: ColumbusCountyNews.com)

COLUMBUS COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — On May 18, 2022, at approximately 4:35, several calls were placed to the Columbus County 911 center in reference to an explosion at the Budget Inn located at 914 N Brown St Chadbourn NC.

Upon arrival of Chadbourn police officers, a male subject was found lying on the ground with severe burn injuries.

EMS arrived on scene and transported the patient to the Columbus Regional Medical Center Helipad and the patient was then transported by air to the UNC Burn Center in Chapel Hill.

The patient is currently in critical condition in the ICU.

Initial arriving fire and EMS units reported to having a fully involved structure fire with a partial collapse of the building with another building becoming involved due to close proximity of the structure.

Due to a quick response by fire crews, the building adjacent to the fire was only partially damaged.

After a joint investigation it has been determined that the fire was accidental in nature.

It has been determined that it could not be ruled out that human error caused an LP gas leak that resulted in the explosion thus causing the fire as well as the collapse of the building.

NC Hwy 410 was temporarily closed due to debris in the roadway from the collapse.

 

Categories: Columbus, Local, Top Stories