Name of Suspect in Surf City homicide released

Press conference reveal more details on Surf City homicide

UPDATE: SURF CITY, NC (WWAY) – The suspect arrested in the armed robbery on Wednesday in Surf City has been identified as 22-year-old Charles Michael Haywood of Holly Springs, NC, and has been charged with 1st degree murder and armed robbery.

According to police, despite the fact Haywood is from Holly Springs, he has been staying locally the past few months.

Haywood is expected in court for his first appearance Friday at the Pender County Courthouse in Burgaw.

According to police, he is being held in the Pender County Jail on no bond.


SURF CITY, NC (WWAY) – More details are coming out in an overnight homicide of a 42-year-old woman.

It was supposed to be a night of fun for customers who were visiting the shops on Highway 50 in Surf City but that changed after police responded to the Exotic Hemp Company on Charlie Medlin Drive just after 6:30 p.m.

Shalimar Ceballos, visiting from Jacksonville, was out with her friends.

“We came for a nice trivia night, and then we realized there was a bunch of sirens,” said Ceballos. “My car was blocked inside the crime tape, now I’m stuck here, I can’t get back to Jacksonville.”

Surf City Police Chief Phillip Voorhees alerted the public Wednesday night after police discovered a dead woman inside the vape shop.

“If they see this person they should call 911 immediately,” he said. “Do not approach him.”

Pictures of the suspect who police considered armed and dangerous, and wanted in the death investigation, were released to the public.

SCPD held a press conference Thursday afternoon to release more details.

“This is being considered a homicide and is an ongoing investigation,” said Voorhees, “We now have a suspect in custody.”

The victim was identified as 42-year-old Margaret Nicole Bracey who surrounding shop owners said, was a sweet woman.

People WWAY spoke with didn’t want to go on camera but said were stunned something like this could happen in their small beach town.

“This incident comes as a shock to our community and we are thankful to have the suspect in custody,” said Voorhees.

According to police, there is no longer a threat to the community.

Police aren’t releasing any information about the suspect at this time, however, he’s expected to make a first appearance Friday morning at the Pender County Courthouse in Burgaw.

This is a developing story, follow us on-air and online for the latest.

Categories: Local, News, Pender, Top Stories