Pender County lifts Hurricane Florence state of emergency


PENDER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — Nearly five months since Hurricane Florence made landfall along the southeastern North Carolina coast, leaders in Pender County have finally ended the county’s state of emergency.

The county issues the state of emergency Sept. 10, 2018, as Florence approached. Yesterday, Pender County Commission Chairman George Brown terminated the state of emergency.

“A state of emergency no longer exists,” Brown said in a news release. “However, our recovery efforts will continue.”

Pender County, which felt the brunt of the strong, front right quadrant of Florence as it made landfall just to the south at Wrightsville Beach on the morning of Sept. 14, 2018, saw some of the worst impacts from the storm, including strong wind, heavy rain and extreme flooding.

Since the Hurricane Florence State of Emergency went into effect, Pender County says residents have been approved for $121.3 million in state and federal funds, according to the latest FEMA statistics. An estimated $16.8 million in state and federal grants have been given to 2,671 homeowners and renters in Pender County.

As of last week, 7,236 home inspections have been issued, the county said.

Pender County residents suffered an estimated $261.8 million in damage, including more than $6.2 million in damage to non-residential structures, according to the county.

Categories: Local, Pender, Weather

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *