NC House members: Cellphone ban while driving needs work

RALEIGH, NC (AP) — Legislation originally designed to prohibit hand-held cellphones while driving in North Carolina nearly sank after a rewrite because lawmakers worried it would punish people who eat or put on makeup behind the wheel.

Insurance and automobile safety groups unveiled the “hands free” idea this year with great fanfare, and it cleared a House transportation committee last month.

A bill sponsor said Friday he altered the measure in response to concerns from Speaker Tim Moore. The updated proposal creates a “distracted driving” offense that while less punitive also appeared broader with prohibited activities. Some judiciary committee members said they couldn’t support the new measure, so more changes had to be made.

Categories: Associated Press, News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *