Subpoena seeks records between NC State, Dennis Smith Jr.
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A grand jury subpoena received by North Carolina State seeks communication records between school officials and its former coaching staff, and ex-Wolfpack guard Dennis Smith Jr. and his representatives.
N.C. State released the subpoena Friday, a week after confirming it was received on Jan. 17 from the Southern District of New York.
It is the same court handling charges that were filed in September in the ongoing federal investigation of corruption in college basketball.
The subpoena seeks a range of communications between the coaching staff and athletic department and Smith and his family members, as well as financial aid forms, eligibility forms and his letter of intent.
It also seeks communications between athletic department members and Adidas representatives, plus personnel files for former coach Mark Gottfried and ex-assistant Orlando Early.
A recent Yahoo Sports report revealed bank records and other expense reports that listed impermissible payments from agents to at least two dozen players or their relatives, including loans of thousands of dollars to Smith, who is currently in his rookie year with the NBA’s Dallas Mavericks.
Gottfried, who was fired by N.C. State last season, was hired earlier this week by Cal State Northridge as its new coach.
Athletics spokesman Fred Demarest said the document was released under the state Public Records Act after consulting with the state Attorney General’s office following media requests for it.
He previously said the school’s general counsel was told the subpoena was confidential and did not inform the Wolfpack’s coaching staff at the time.
The case is tied to hundreds of thousands of dollars in alleged bribes and kickbacks designed to influence recruits on choosing a school or an agent.
Federal prosecutors announced in September that they had charged 10 men, including assistant coaches at Arizona, Auburn, USC and Oklahoma State along with a top Adidas executive, in the fraud and bribery scandal. Prosecutors have since withdrawn the criminal complaint against one defendant, the rest are all out on bond and all four charged assistant coaches have been fired.